Y’all know that I’m always looking for kitchen shortcuts, and this easy, no-bake flag dessert takes the cake! Haha… pun intended! If you’re looking for easy patriotic desserts to make for the 4th of July then you’re in the right place.
Yes, I know… there are a gazillion no-bake 4th of July cake ideas on Pinterest. But most of them get their red, white, and blue colors from strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream. And a patriotic cake with berries and cream doesn’t exactly sound like the greatest idea for a hot summer day. Especially if your refrigerator is already stuffed to the brim with mayo-based salads.
So, I put my thinking cap on and came up with this idea, inspired by my No-Bake Valentine’s Brownies for Kids (which are pretty much the easiest and most versatile dessert idea imaginable).
Just swap out the pink frosting and you’ve got an easy red, white, and blue dessert that’s perfect for your 4th of July picnic.
This no bake 4th of July dessert idea is so easy that it’s almost embarrassing.
But, everyone that knows me knows that I’m not a baker. Or even a cook. Hence, my big list of Kids Dinner Ideas for Moms Who Can’t Cook. 🙂
So, no one will be surprised when I show up to the 4th of July party with this easy flag dessert.
Trust me, if I can make this red, white, and blue dessert, then you can too!
Just whip up a batch of Rice Krispies treats (or buy some already made), open a few boxes of snack cakes and brownie bites, and mix some food coloring into store-bought frosting and you’re pretty much done.
4th of July flag desserts don’t get easier than that!
Here’s how I built my no-bake flag dessert:
Cut your Rice Krispies treats into bars that are the same size as your snack cakes. Lay out your Rice Krispies treats and snack cakes in rows on a cookie sheet. Make a square of brownie bites in the top left corner, and get ready to decorate!
For the icing, just separate a can of vanilla frosting into two bowls. Tint one bowl with red food coloring and the other with blue. Then, put each color in a piping bag and decorate however you want.
Side Note – No matter how much “Christmas Red” food coloring that I used, I still couldn’t get American flag red, so I just added red sprinkles on top of the red icing to get a deeper red color.
And since the snack cakes (Twinkies, Hostess cakes, Little Debbies, etc) are already covered in white icing, they make the perfect stripes for this no-bake American flag cake.
Even the cute white stars are a cinch to make with white candy melts.
Just melt white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl. Pour the melted white candy into a ziploc bag after it’s cooled down a bit. Cut a small hole in one corner, and “pipe” stars onto a piece of wax paper.
Not gonna lie, super proud that I made these cute stars all by myself:
Plus, this no bake flag dessert is already pre-portioned and ready to go for your 4th of July party. Just like a pull-apart cupcake cake, minus the mess.
And, all of the ingredients are just fine to stay out of the refrigerator, making it the perfect red, white, and blue flag dessert for your 4th of July picnic!
Here’s the “recipe” (if you can even call it that!) for this easy no-bake flag dessert:
- 1 box store-bought brownie bites
- 1 box store-bought snack cakes (like Twinkies, Little Debbie, Hostess, etc) pre-decorated with white icing
- 1 pan of Rice Krispies treats (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 can store-bought vanilla icing
- 1 bag white candy melts
- red and blue food coloring
- red sprinkles (optional)
- Cut Rice Krispies treats into bars that are the same size as your snack cakes.
- Assemble flag shape on a large cookie sheet using alternating rows of Rice Krispies treats and snack cakes for the stripes and brownie bites for the star area.
- Separate the canned frosting into two bowls, about 1/3 of the can in one bowl and 2/3 of the can in the second bowl.
- Tint the 1/3 bowl using blue food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Tint the 2/3 bowl using red food coloring.
- Fill 2 pastry bags (one with red and one with blue) and pipe Rice Krispies treats stripes with red and brownie bites with blue.
- Melt white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl according to package directions.
- Allow candy melts to cool a bit and then transfer to small ziploc bag or pastry bag.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of the ziploc bag and pipe star shapes (about the same size as the top of the brownie bites) onto wax paper.
- Allow stars to cool completely and place on top of decorated brownie bites.
If you want to spend a bit more time in the kitchen this 4th of July, then check out my Momma’s Blue Ribbon Chocolate Sheet Cake that’s perfect for summer picnic desserts! Yes, she did win a blue-ribbon at the state fair for this one!