These pizza egg rolls combine my favorite foods from Italian and Chinese cuisines… pizza and egg rolls. What’s not to love? Make these easy grown up pizza rolls with just a few ingredients for an easy dinner that the whole family will love!
I LOVE pizza! If it was up to me, we would get Domino’s pan pizzas with double pepperoni every Friday night and hang out on the couch watching family movies.
But my husband isn’t a huge pizza fan, and he definitely isn’t a fan of eating the same foods each week. So when I want to get my pizza fix, we sometimes get creative.
We’ve mastered Low Carb Tortilla Pizzas (which are WAY healthier than normal pizza and SUPER easy to make!) and these easy breakfast pizzas, so we decided to give pizza egg rolls a try. And they were a HUGE hit!
Here’s how to make these yummy pizza egg rolls…
Ingredients for Pizza Egg Rolls
These yummy pizza egg rolls only require a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry or fridge. Here’s what you need:
- 16-ounce package egg roll wrappers – You can typically find these in the produce section of the grocery store.
- 6-ounce package pepperoni – Cut the pepperonis in half so they fit inside the pizza egg rolls better.
- 14-ounce jar of pizza sauce
- 10 pieces string cheese, halved lengthwise
- Oil for frying – Vegetable, canola oil or a vegetable-canola oil blend work best for frying your homemade pizza rolls.
How to Make Pizza Rolls with Egg Roll Wrappers
1. Get your oil ready for frying the pizza rolls.
The first step is to get your oil ready so that it can be heating while you assemble your pizza egg rolls. Fill a deep skillet or saucepan with at least two inches of vegetable or canola oil. Then heat your oil on your stovetop over medium heat.
If you want to save some calories, you can also cook these pizza rolls in an air fryer, or spray them with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Assemble your homemade pizza rolls.
While your oil is heating, assemble your rolls by first laying one egg roll wrapper on a cutting board at a time with the bottom corner pointing at you. Then, place a small spoonful of pizza sauce in the center of the egg roll wrapper, like this:
Next, top the sauce with halved pepperonis and one piece of halved string cheese, like this:
How to Wrap Pizza Egg Rolls:
After you’ve got your ingredients on top of the egg roll wrappers, it’s time to wrap up your pizza egg rolls. Wrap the rolls like a burrito, so that none of your ingredients fall out while cooking.
Here’s how to wrap the rolls:
- Bring the bottom corner of the egg roll wrapper to the center of the wrapper, covering the cheese and pepperoni.
- Fold each side corner over the center, so it looks like an envelope.
- Roll the filled center up toward the top corner of the egg roll wrapper.
- Wet the top corner slightly with water (you can just use your finger), then fold it over the center of the egg roll and press to seal.
3. Fry your homemade pizza rolls.
Once you have all of your pizza egg rolls assembled, it’s time to fry them (or bake them if you choose to do it that way).
Gently place the filled pizza rolls in the hot oil. Depending on the size of your pan, you will probably only be able to fry approximately 6-8 egg rolls at a time. It’s best not to overcrowd your pan. Also, be careful so that the oil doesn’t splatter up and burn you while you are putting them in the pan.
Fry your pizza rolls for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are golden brown and begin to float. Then carefully remove them from the oil, and allow them to cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
Sprinkle the rolls with a little parmesan cheese and chopped parsley to dress them up a bit, and serve with warm marinara on the side. So yummy!
And be sure to check out these other egg roll recipes from Taste of Home!
- 1 16-ounce package egg roll wrappers
- 1 6-ounce package pepperoni, halved
- 1 14-ounce jar pizza sauce
- 10 pieces string cheese, halved lengthwise
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Fill a deep skillet or saucepan with at least
two inches of oil. Heat the oil on your stovetop over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, prepare the egg rolls by placing one egg roll wrapper at a time on a flat surface with the bottom corner pointing toward you.
- Spoon a small amount of pizza sauce in the center of the egg roll wrapper.
- Place a few halved pepperonis and one piece of halved string cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Wrap the pizza egg rolls. First bring the bottom corner of the wrapper to the center, covering the filling. Then fold each side corner over the center to form an envelope shape. Roll the filled center up toward the top corner of the egg roll wrapper.
- Wet your finger with water to dampen the top corner of the egg roll wrapper slightly, then fold the corner over the roll and press to seal.
- Carefully place the filled pizza rolls in the hot oil, taking care to not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the pizza egg rolls for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the egg rolls are golden brown and begin to float.
- Remove the rolls from the oil and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. Different online calculators may calculate nutritional information differently. Also, the addition of optional ingredients and varying brands and products may change the information. For the most accurate data, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients that you use.