I love pizza. Like, LOVE… LOVE pizza. So much so that for my family, Saturday night is reserved for pizza delivery and Family Feud. Yes, my kids love them some Steve Harvey. So, what was I to do when my hubby and I started a low-carb diet recently… switch to these amazing, flavorful, you’ll-swear-you-are-eating-pizza tortilla pizzas. These “tortizzas” as we like to call them, are the bomb (yes, I’m 34 and I grew up saying “the bomb”). They have all of the flavor of your favorite delivery pizza, but if you use a low-carb tortilla and ingredients, they can be super low carb! No need to spend hours making cauliflower pizza crust which (trust me, I’ve tried it) is just plain awful! Plus, with store-bought low-carb tortillas and a rotisserie chicken, this barbecue chicken tortilla pizza is a cinch to put together.
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from these links at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Just look how delicious:
This ain’t no flimsy, stingy tortilla pizza. No, this barbecue chicken tortilla pizza is jam-packed of delicious and fresh (plus convenient store-bought) ingredients.
Yes, I know what you’re thinking… “Dang that looks good, but is that crust strong enough for that mountain of ingredients?”. I’m glad you asked…
The answer is yes!
You can pick up this tortilla pizza slice just like you would a normal piece of pizza. The secret is in the preparation (lucky for me I married a chef!). To get your tortilla pizza sturdy enough to pick up, first put a bit of extra virgin olive oil in a preheated skillet on the stove. Then, start toasting your tortilla before you start piling on ingredients. Toasting the tortilla before you add your toppings, plus finishing the pizza in an oven, makes an absolutely perfect tortilla pizza crust.
You may even like it better than Domino’s!
What low carb tortillas do we use for the perfect low carb tortilla pizza?
Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas in Soft Taco size (Only 6 grams of net carbs per tortilla!). **Important – Mission makes their Carb Balance tortillas in Burrito size also, but the larger size does not work as well with this recipe.
Afraid the kids won’t like this barbecue chicken version? Just do what we do, and make them a pepperoni tortilla pizza. Just three ingredients (marinara sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni). Delicious!
In fact, once you master the perfectly toasty tortilla “crust” you can customize your tortilla pizza however you like. Another great topping combo is roasted bell peppers, onions, mushroom, zucchini and goat cheese. Yummy!
So, without further ado… Here are the secrets to the best ever low carb tortilla pizza.
- 2 low carb tortillas, soft taco size
- 2 tbsp marinara sauce, jarred
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, pulled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp barbecue sauce, of your choice
- sliced red onion, optional
- diced jalapeno, optional
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place baking sheet in oven to preheat also.
- Mix pulled rotisserie chicken and barbecue sauce in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave barbecue chicken until warm. Set aside.
- Preheat skillet on stovetop, medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to skillet to heat.
- Once olive oil is heated, add one tortilla at a time to the skillet. Toast tortilla until lightly golden brown on bottom. Do not flip.
- While tortilla is toasting, start layering on pizza sauce and toppings.
- Spread marinara sauce over entire tortilla.
- Spread half of the pulled rotisserie barbecue chicken on top.
- Evenly sprinkle half of mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top of chicken.
- Add thinly sliced red onion and jalapeno (optional).
- Transfer tortilla pizza to the preheated baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges of tortilla start to turn brown.
- Repeat above steps to make second tortilla pizza.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top of finished pizzas. Slice and serve.
Recipe can be easily customized to different types of pizza. The secret is to toast tortilla in skillet before adding to oven. Enjoy!
Serving Size:1 tortilla pizza
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 664 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 164mg Sodium: 1572mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 56g
- 36 Best Brunch Recipes for when Cereal Just Won’t Do
- How to Eat Clean on a Budget: Save Money on Produce!
Hope you love this tortilla pizza as much as we do! And be sure to pin the recipe for later!