Just because you’re cutting carbs, doesn’t mean you have to cut flavor! This low carb Mexican Chicken Casserole is packed with flavor and loaded with good-for-you veggies!
We eat a lot of chicken in our house, mainly because it’s cheap and healthier than fatty red meat. And since we eat it so frequently, we’re always trying to dream up new ways to use plain old boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
When it comes to chicken, I would much rather eat it in a delicious casserole rather than just a grilled chicken breast, even though my hubby does make the absolute BEST grilled chicken.
Something about the work required to actually cut a whole piece of meat before you eat it… I’d rather just take a forkful of flavorful casserole and skip the knife all together. Does that make me seem super lazy?! Heck, I’m worn out after 36 loads of laundry a day. I know you fellow overworked Mommas can relate!
Plus, what’s easier than dumping a bunch of ingredients into a Pyrex dish and popping it in the oven?
And, I love that you can pile a TON of veggies into a casserole.
And, let me tell you, this Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole has a TON of veggies, so you can feel good about eating it. See what I mean? This bite is loaded with kale and cauliflower rice:
Plus, it’s so flavorful that your husband will be asking for seconds, whether he likes kale or not.
Doesn’t it just look yummy?!
Here’s a look at the ingredients before they get mixed together:
Want to make this yummy Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole for yourself? Here’s the recipe:
Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe:
- 2 medium poblano peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 10 ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice, steamed and drained
- 10 ounce bag frozen chopped kale, steamed and drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp diced jalapeno
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Split poblano peppers in half and de-seed. Cut into thin strips, about 1/4 inch wide.
- Sautee poblano pepper strips in a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat until almost tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, kale, cauliflower, green chiles, taco seasoning, garlic, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 CUP of shredded cheddar, diced jalapenos, and salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Fold poblano pepper strips into chicken mixture.
- Spread mixture into a 9 inch x 9 inch Pyrex, or similar baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together enchilada sauce and taco sauce. Pour over casserole.
- Combine remaining 1 CUP of shredded cheddar and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 20-25 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and casserole starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado, salsa or your favorite Mexican toppings.
- If you cannot find frozen chopped kale, you can substitute frozen chopped spinach or sautee about 1/2 a bunch of fresh kale (de-stemmed and chopped) until tender.
- Be sure to steam and drain frozen cauliflower rice and chopped kale/spinach before adding to casserole mixture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 110mg Sodium: 1330mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 9g Protein: 30g