Just because you’re cutting carbs, doesn’t mean you have to cut flavor! If you need low carb recipes for dinner then you must try this low carb Mexican Chicken Casserole! This easy low carb casserole is packed with vegetables including kale and cauliflower rice, so you can feel good about eating it!
We eat a lot of chicken in our house, mainly because it’s cheap and healthier than fatty red meat. And since we eat it so frequently, we’re always trying to dream up new ways to use plain old boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
When it comes to chicken, I would much rather eat it in a delicious low carb casserole rather than just a grilled chicken breast, even though my hubby does make the absolute BEST grilled chicken.
Something about the work required to actually cut a whole piece of meat before you eat it… I’d rather just take a forkful of flavorful low carb casserole and skip the knife all together. Does that make me seem super lazy?! Heck, I’m worn out after 36 loads of laundry a day. I know you fellow overworked Mommas can relate!
Plus, what’s easier than dumping a bunch of ingredients into a Pyrex dish and popping it in the oven?
And, I love that you can pile a TON of veggies into a low carb casserole, especially cauliflower rice.
And, let me tell you, this Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole has a TON of veggies, so you can feel good about eating it. See what I mean? This bite is loaded with kale and cauliflower rice:
Plus, it’s so flavorful that your husband will be asking for seconds, whether he likes kale or not.
Doesn’t this low carb Mexican chicken casserole just look yummy?!
Here’s a look at the ingredients before they get mixed together:
Don’t let the ingredients picture fool you… That’s frozen, bagged cauliflower rice in the mix, though it looks like white rice.
By the way, if you haven’t used cauliflower rice as a rice substitute in your low carb casserole recipes, then you’re missing out!
We LOVE cauliflower rice so much that we seriously stock up when it to goes on sale for BOGO at Publix. I’m talking 15 bags a time. Yup, that may be excessive, but it’s a veggie! It’s better than stocking your freezer with 15 pints of Haagen-Dazs, right?!
Want to make this yummy Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole for yourself? (Trust me… you do!)…
Here’s the recipe:
Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe:
- 2 medium poblano peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 10 ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice, steamed and drained
- 10 ounce bag frozen chopped kale, steamed and drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp diced jalapeno
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Split poblano peppers in half and de-seed. Cut into thin strips, about 1/4 inch wide.
- Sautee poblano pepper strips in a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat until almost tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, kale, cauliflower, green chiles, taco seasoning, garlic, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 CUP of shredded cheddar, diced jalapenos, and salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Fold poblano pepper strips into chicken mixture.
- Spread mixture into a 9 inch x 9 inch Pyrex, or similar baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together enchilada sauce and taco sauce. Pour over casserole.
- Combine remaining 1 CUP of shredded cheddar and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 20-25 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and casserole starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado, salsa or your favorite Mexican toppings.
- If you cannot find frozen chopped kale, you can substitute frozen chopped spinach or sautee about 1/2 a bunch of fresh kale (de-stemmed and chopped) until tender.
- Be sure to steam and drain frozen cauliflower rice and chopped kale/spinach before adding to casserole mixture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1330mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 30g
If you love this Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole recipe, then check out some of my other flavorful low carb recipes: