This list of fun questions to ask kids is a great way to get your kids to open up to you! Print out the list of funny and thoughtful questions to ask your kids after school or while you’re sitting around the dinner table. If you’re tired of trying to connect with your kids and only getting one word answers, then these fun kids’ questions are for you!
Your kid climbs in the car after school and you proceed to ask “How was your day?”.
You’re expecting to hear at least a short synopsis of how the pizza in the cafeteria was extra yummy today, or that your child aced the surprise math quiz, but instead you hear…
Good? That’s it!
You just spent the last 7 hours at school, and that’s all you can tell me… that it was good?!
If that sounds all too familiar, then you need this fun list of questions to ask kids! And after you’ve gone through this list of fun questions, then be sure to check out 100 Would You Rather Questions for Kids for even more questions for kids.
And, I’m even going to show you how to turn these questions into a fun portable game so that you can engage with your child and have meaningful (and sometimes funny!) conversations on the way home from school, at the dinner table, or on road trips.
Read on for the giant list of fun questions for kids to get your kids to open up and communicate with you!
100 Fun Questions to Ask Kids
Questions to Ask Kids About Their School Day
Getting kids to talk about the happenings at school is super difficult, and if you’re tired of asking about your kids’ school days only to get one word answers, then try these questions to ask kids instead! The key is to ask open-ended questions that require a more thoughtful response, and these are some awesome kids questions to ask:
- What was the best thing that happened to you today?
- What is one thing you learned today that you don’t think I already know?
- Who had the best lunchbox item at lunch today? And what was it?
- What was one thing that happened today that made you laugh?
- What was one thing that happened at school today that made you feel special?
- What was the worst part of your day today?
- When did you feel the most proud at school today?
- What is one thing that you learned today that you didn’t already know?
- What was your favorite thing that you did at the playground today?
- What is one thing that you wish you could have done better today?
- What do you think you can do tomorrow to make it better than today?
- Was there any time that you were nervous today?
- Who is one person that you don’t like at school, and why?
- What was one nice thing that you did for someone else today? And check out this post about How to Raise the Nice Kid in a World of Mean Girls!
- What subject did you have a hard time with today?
- Did anyone at school do anything today that made you feel sad?
- What is one crazy and interesting thing that you learned today?
Funny Questions to Ask Kids
Let’s face it… kids are flat-out funny, and you never know what they’re going to say! My youngest daughter once told me that she couldn’t pick up more than two toys at once when cleaning her room because she “didn’t have octopus arms”! So encourage that good-natured humor with these fun questions to ask kids:
- If Mommy wanted a break tomorrow, what would you cook us for dinner?
- Do your best impression of any famous person.
- If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
- What is the funniest joke you can think of right now?
- Oh no! Your backpack broke, and you can only carry TWO school supplies to school tomorrow! What do you choose to bring?
- What is ONE chore that you would cross off your Chore Chart forever? Check out my awesome Printable Chore Charts with Age Appropriate Chore Cards HERE!
- If you HAD to give up one of these for the whole week, which would you choose: Internet AND Electronics OR Your toothbrush AND Your hairbrush?
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- If you got a letter in the mail with $50 in it and a note that says you have to spend ALL of the money in 10 minutes at the grocery store, what would you buy?
- Who do you think is smarter, Mommy or Alexa/Siri?
- Tell the truth… have you ever farted and blamed it on someone else?
- If you got to pick ONE thing that your sibling had to eat for the rest of the week, what would you pick?
- If YOU got to elect the next president, and it could be ANYONE, who would you choose and why?
- Amazon ships us a time machine by accident. What year do you choose to go to, past OR future? Why?
- You’re trapped in the Aladdin movie, what are your 3 wishes?
- What is the funniest face you can make?
- Pretend you’re a farmer and you only grow ONE food, and you have to eat that food everyday for the rest of your life. What is it?
- Quick! Can you make up a song about Mom/Dad/Sibling?
- If you could choose your own nickname, what would it be?
- “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”… How do you spell it? Answer: “i-t”… Get it! 🙂
- What is the funniest animal sound you can make?
Conversation Starters for Kids to Get to Know Them Better
Yes, you know your kids’ favorite cereal and you can list their favorite hobbies, but do you actually know your kids’ hearts? Their fears? What they like most about themselves?
These questions to ask kids are a great way to dive deeper with your children and really get to know them better:
- What is one thing that you wish I would stop doing as your parent?
- If someone were to write a biography about you, what do you hope they would write as the last sentence?
- If you could have ANY animal as a pet, what would it be and what would you name it?
- If you could be king or queen of the playground for one day, what would you do?
- If you could eat lunch with any person tomorrow, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- Who is your best friend, and what is the one thing you like best about him or her?
- What is one thing you wish your friends knew about you?
- Where in the world would you want to live, if money was not a factor?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- If your teacher gets sick tomorrow, and you have to be the teacher for the day, what is one lesson that you would teach your classmates?
- If you had to do a school project about ONE influential person in your life, who would you choose and why?
- Do you want to be a parent when you grow up? If so, how many kids do you want to have?
- What is one fun thing that you think you want to do with your kids on a regular basis?
- What is one thing that you wish you could do better?
- What do you consider to be your biggest strength?
- What makes you a good friend?
- When do you feel the most loved? Check out this post for 13 Fun and Easy Ways to Make Your Child Feel Loved and Valued!
- If you got to choose what we do as a family next Saturday, what would it be?
- What job do you hope you have when you grow up?
- If you could pick ANY fictional character to change places with, who would you choose?
- Can you think of one new family tradition that you wish we did together? If not, what is your favorite family tradition that we have?
- If you found $100 on the sidewalk and I made you give it to a charity, which charity would you choose?
- What is the best dream that you have had recently?
- What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
- If you had to bring 3 items in to school tomorrow to describe YOU for show and tell, what would you bring and why?
- What are you most thankful for?
- What are you most afraid of?
Questions for Kids About Their Favorite Things
You may think you know your kids’ favorite things, but surprisingly enough, when we used these kids question cards at the dinner table recently, I found out some interesting things about my kids! These are some awesome and fun questions to ask kids about their favorite things, besides just the basics like favorite color or food:
- If you had to pick one food to eat for dinner for the next 30 days, what would it be?
- What is your all-time favorite dessert?
- What is your favorite outfit that you own?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What is your favorite subject in school?
- What is your most prized possession?
- What is your favorite memory?
- What is your favorite movie, and what is your favorite scene from that movie?
- What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday?
- What is your favorite song? Hold up a pretend microphone and sing me some of the lyrics.
- What is your favorite thing in your room, besides furniture?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
- What is your favorite month of the year and why?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What is your favorite activity to do in the summer? Check out this list of Fun Activities for Kids to Do at Home to keep your kids busy this summer!
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is your favorite animal, and what do you like about it?
- What is your favorite holiday?
More Random Questions to Ask Your Kids
You never know what’s going to spew out of your kid’s mouth at random, right?! One minute you’re discussing your plans for the day and the next your child is quizzing you on the 50 state capitals! So indulge their love of all things random with these fun questions to ask kids:
- Which do you think came first, the chicken or the egg?
- If you could go to the toy store and pick out just ONE new toy, and you had to play with that toy everyday for a month, what would it be?
- What is one animal that you wish was extinct?
- If you were an architect, what kind of house would you build to live in?
- Who is the meanest Disney villain, and why?
- Pretend that you get to plan our next family vacation… Where are we going and what are we doing?
- Would you rather give up ice cream or cake forever?
- Create the things you wish existed. What is one invention that you wish existed?
- If you could bring ONE toy to school tomorrow, what would you choose?
- If I gave you $500 to redecorate your room, what would it look like?
- If you could pack anything in your lunchbox tomorrow, what would you pack?
- If you HAD to go to the barber shop tomorrow and get a different hairstyle, what would you choose?
- If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 things would you want to have with you?
- If your principal is sick tomorrow and you have to fill in, what one new rule would you make for the school?
- If there was only ONE present under the Christmas tree for you this year, what would you hope it would be?
- If you could change your bedtime, what would you change it to?
Get the Free Printable List of Questions to Ask Kids!
Want the free printable list of fun questions to ask kids?! Just click on the link below, print the list of questions, and start having some fun and interesting conversations with your kids!
Get the Printable Kids Questions Cards
Want to print these fun questions for kids in card form? My kids absolutely LOVE these printable question cards! We keep them in a pile in the center of our dining table and we ask a few questions during dinner time! You can also print the cards and store them in a Ziploc bag for when your kids are bored in the car!
Ideas for Using these Fun Questions to Ask Kids
Going on a road trip, or need some conversation starters for dinner time with your kids? Or want to connect with your little ones while you’re trying to get out of the school traffic after pick-up?
Here are some awesome ideas for using these fun kids questions…
Twenty Questions in Twenty Minutes – Kids Edition
Set a timer for 20 minutes, and have your kids try to answer 20 questions before the timer goes off!
Or, you can set a kitchen timer for ONE minute, have your child draw a card, and then they have to talk about their answer for a whole minute.
Dinner time is typically a little bit longer than 20 minutes (the actual eating part not the cooking and cleaning!), so this would be a great question game for kids to play around the table.
You can even go in order from youngest to oldest, and answer some questions yourself.
Pick a Question, Any Question
What kid hasn’t held up a fanned-out deck of cards and said in their best magician voice, “Pick a card, Any card.”
Well, this easy game to get your kids talking is a fun version of that…
Instead of Pick a Card, have your kids Pick a Fun Question!
Just write each question down on a piece of paper or card stock OR check out my Question Cards for Kids HERE! Then, stick all of the papers into a gallon-size Ziploc bag. When your kids get in the car after school OR while you’re sitting around the dinner table as a family, pull out the ziploc bag and let each child pick one question to answer.
Fun Questions for Kids on the Go
Do you struggle with keeping your kids occupied while you’re sitting in the waiting room at the doctor’s office or when you’re trying to get your grocery shopping done?
Print the question cards for kids and use them when you’re on the go running errands! Just tuck the bag of cards in your purse and pull them out when your little ones are starting to get antsy or bored! Nothing like some fun conversations to get your kids’ minds off of a long wait or a dreaded errand that they don’t want to do!
What are your favorite questions to ask kids?
Do you have certain questions that you ask your kids everyday after school? Or do you have certain conversation starters that you use at the dinner table each night? Drop me a comment down below! I’d LOVE to hear from you!
And don’t forget to check out my fun list of would you rather questions for kids next, like this one:
Hope you enjoyed this list of 100 fun questions for kids! Now go have an interesting dinner table talk! And check out some of my other popular kids’ posts:
- 81 Fun Things to Do with Kids at Home – Easy at Home Kids Activity Ideas!
- Printable Screen Time Reward Coupons for Kids
- 50+ Awesome Ideas for your “I’m Bored” Jar
And don’t forget to PIN this post for later: