Plan a Year of Dates to keep date night fresh and interesting! Use the printables with 12 months of date ideas to make a Year of Dates gift box for your spouse or boyfriend!
Dating your spouse is so important, but so often our weekly or monthly “date night” involves having dinner at the same restaurant and coming home to watch Netflix.
Don’t get me wrong, that quality time together is still important, and with how busy we all seem to be these days, it’s nice to just take a few hours to focus on each other.
But what if you could spend time together and do something completely different and unique on your date night? And what if I told you that you can plan a full year of dates, with 12 months of date ideas, ahead of time so that when date night rolls around you don’t have to take time to plan something?
Well, that’s exactly what these Year of Dates printables are for!
What is a Year of Dates Gift?
A Year of Dates gift consists of a year’s worth of pre-planned dates for you and your spouse or boyfriend to enjoy. This fun gift idea can be something as simple as handwritten envelopes with a brief description of the date on the outside, or a full-on gift basket complete with gift cards for each month.
Gifting your special someone with 12 monthly pre-planned dates is a great way to get out of your boring date night rut and try something new together. And if your spouse’s or boyfriend’s Love Language happens to be Quality Time, then that’s a BONUS!
This fun date night gift basket is perfect for a:
- creative DIY anniversary gift
- Valentine’s Day gift for him
- birthday surprise gift for your husband or boyfriend
- Christmas gift
- unique Wedding gift for a couple
Ideas for Doing a Year of Dates
There are so many ways to do a monthly date night gift like this, but here are some of the most common ways to make a 12 months of dates gift:
Use free Year of Dates printables.
You can find super cute date night envelope labels with numbers 1 – 12 at the end of this post. Just print out the free printables, and use them to DIY your own date night gift basket like this:
The only drawback to using the free printables is that you’ll have to do a lot of the work yourself to come up with the date nights. Or, you can pair the free printable number signs with these printable date night idea cards:
Create a Year of Dates gift basket.
If you have a bit more time, you can prep your year of dates gift with all of the items needed for each date – whether it’s a coffee shop gift card and conversation starter cards for a “Coffee and Convo” date or a printable game spinner labeled with different restaurant names for a “Random Restaurant” date.
Just gather some large manilla envelopes or small cardboard boxes (depending on which date ideas you’re using), and round up the items needed for each of your monthly date nights. Then, place everything in a basket or a fabric-style storage bin. Tie on a cute gift tag explaining the Year of Dates gift, and you’ve got a super awesome and creative gift that can be used for the entire year!
*I’ll show you how I made my EPIC Year of Dates gift basket down below!
Buy a pre-done Year of Dates gift.
If you’re not the DIY type, you can purchase a set of date night cards on Amazon. This Year of Dates boxed set comes with 51 sealed date night ideas… Just open one envelope each week or each month for a surprise date night!
What I LOVE About My Year of Dates Printables
- The 12 monthly dates are inexpensive. Most of the date ideas included on the printable date cards cost less than $30… Great for fun AND cheap dates!
- Just press “print”. I’ve done all of the planning for you! Most of the dates just require a printer and paper, and maybe a little bit of work like printing a route map from Google Maps or cutting out conversation cards.
- Fun and unique dates keep things exciting! Many of the dates are things that you’ve probably never done before… a great way to keep date night fresh and exciting!
How to Make a Year of Dates Gift Basket with Printables
Making an epic Year of Dates date night in a box is super easy to do with the date night gift basket printables I have in my shop. Here’s how to set up this super fun gift for your husband or boyfriend:
Step 1: Find a box or storage bin to use for the Date Night Gift Box.
You have a few different options for how to “box up” your Year of Dates gift basket. I chose to use a clear plastic file storage box that I found at Target for about $12. But here are some other ideas:
- Use a cardboard box like a “banker’s box” file storage box or even an old Amazon box.
- Use a laundry basket to hold all of the individual date envelopes and boxes.
- Try a fabric storage bin… You can find some cute options at Target.
- Put all of the individually labeled date envelopes and boxes in a larger gift bag.
Basically, any type of basket, bin, or box that can fit multiple 10″ x 13″ envelopes will work. However, you might want to look for something a bit sturdier since you’ll be using it for the full year.
Step 2: Print the date envelope labels and cards.
First, you’ll need to pick out which date envelope labels that you want to use. The Date Night in a Box printables pack comes with 4 different designs for you to choose from to label the front of each large envelope or box with numbers 1-12:
The larger full size number signs on the left side are great for labeling the outside of large manilla envelopes, and the smaller tags are perfect for smaller gift bags or boxes… some of the date ideas will include bulky items (like cookie mix or small bottles of acrylic paints), so you may want to do a mix of boxes and large envelopes like I did.
Next, print all the Year of Dates printables that you need. You may want to print different pages on different types of paper, depending on how that page will be used. For instance, you may want to print the smaller numbered gift tags on white card stock, so that the tags don’t get wrinkled in your gift basket.
Here are my recommendations for printing:
- Smaller (4 per page) gift tags to label the envelopes or boxes with numbers 1-12 – Print on white card stock.
- Individual date cards that explain what each monthly date is – Print on white card stock or a heavier weight printer paper.
- “Random Restaurant” spinner – Print on white card stock so you can use it over and over again… not just for that month’s date.
- Printable money envelopes – Print on a heavier weight printer paper (like 32 lb.) so that you can’t see through the assembled envelope.
- Conversation cards – Print on white card stock so that you can use them over again for different dates… You probably won’t make it through all of the questions on just one coffee date.
- Year of Dates signs to put on the outside of the date night gift box – Print on regular printer paper or a heavier (32 lb.) paper.
- Large full sheet labels for the outsides of the date envelopes – Print on regular printer paper.
- Instructions, donut score sheets and itinerary, photo scavenger hunt, etc. – Print on regular printer paper because you’ll only need to use these for a short time.
Step 3: Choose which 12 monthly dates you will use for your date night gift box.
The great thing about my Year of Dates gift printables is that they come with 18 different dates, instead of just 12 date ideas. So you can pick and choose which ones you want to use for your date night gift basket based on your budget and babysitter options.
For instance, you may want to skip the “Can’t Escape My Love” date because tickets to an Escape Room are a bit more expensive. Or maybe you live in a small town so you can’t do the “Donut Detective” date because there aren’t very many stores to visit for a donut crawl.
Once you choose which 12 monthly dates that you want to prep, be sure that you have printed the printables that go with them. And if the dates that you chose will include money envelopes, then go ahead and cut out and assemble the money envelopes like this:
Then, you’re ready to actually start putting together your Year of Dates gift box.
Step 4: Gather the date supplies and assemble the envelopes.
The last step is to gather the supplies that you’ll need for each of the 12 monthly dates to assemble the envelopes and small boxes of goodies for each month.
Some of the dates for the date night gift box are super simple to assemble – like you’ll only have to print out a scavenger hunt checklist and put it in the envelope – and some of them require a bit more time to prepare.
In total, I was able to assemble my full date night gift basket in about 3 hours… and that includes shopping for the supplies and putting the envelopes together. And I couldn’t be happier with how my Year of Dates gift basket turned out! I know that my husband and I will enjoy these monthly date nights this upcoming year!
Keep reading to get a peak inside some of the monthly date night envelopes that are included in the Year of Dates printables:
Year of Dates Ideas – 12 Months of Planned Date Nights
Here’s just a sample of the 18 different date ideas you get in the Year of Dates printable pack… And I’ve got a full list of the date names/types down below:
Date Night #1: Drive Thru Dinner Crawl
This fun date idea is similar to a pub crawl, but instead of visiting a bunch of different bars or pubs, you’ll be hitting up a bunch of drive thru restaurants!
You can use the printable envelope templates included in the Year of Dates printable pack, and add $10-$15 cash in each envelope. Then, number the envelopes and write what restaurant and what course you’ll be eating at each spot. For instance, your first envelope may look like this:
You can create different envelopes for these courses: appetizers, drinks, main course, and dessert. Such a fun way to visit 4 different restaurants, and maybe even throw in a few that you’ve never been to before.
For the Year of Dates Envelope:
- money for each drive thru – Add cash or gift cards to each printable envelope template.
- a printed Google map of your route – Just go to Google Maps and add your house as the starting destination. Then, look up the addresses for the different restaurants you’ll be visiting, and click “Add Destination” to add the next stop to your route.
Date Night #2: Donut Detective
For this year of dates idea, you’ll be putting on your detective hat to discover where to find the best donuts in your city! Plan a donut tasting itinerary of donut shops, bakeries, and grocery stores that you want to visit for your “research”. Then, when date night rolls around you’ll drive around to the different stops on the list, sampling a donut at each place.
Record your thoughts on the donut tasting score sheets that are included in the Year of Dates printable pack, and see if you have the same favorites!
For the Year of Dates Envelope:
- printable donut rating sheets
- a “Donut Itinerary” of the different donut shops that you’ll visit
- a Google map of your route
- (optional) small crazy donut themed attire or accessories to wear on your date – like an “I love donuts” pin or donuts socks
Date Night #3: Putt Putt & Pizza
Putt Putt mini golf is a classic date night idea, and for good reason! It’s fun to play, and it’s even more fun to engage in a little healthy competition! My husband and I always decide on a small prize for the winner also, like the winner gets to pick the restaurant that we go to for dinner afterwards.
For this date, you’ll put your putting skills to the test. Then, after you work up an appetite, head to a local pizza restaurant for dinner.
Date Night #4: Coffee and Convos
How often do you sit down to have a serious conversation with your spouse or boyfriend to get to know each other better? Or how often do you talk about something meaningful, besides what the weekend plans are or what time you need to leave for your kid’s soccer game?
For this date, you’ll head to your local coffee shop for a relaxing evening of lattes and a “latte” good conversation!
This Year of Dates idea is all about reconnecting through communication… and since that can be difficult, the date night printables include 36 printable conversation starter cards.
*By the way, if you want to check out the full post and get some awesome conversation starters, go here: 90 Meaningful Conversation Starters for Couples to Connect
Just print and cut the conversation starter cards in the Year of Dates printables, assemble the “Coffee Money” envelope and add about $10-$15, and this simple date night is ready for your date night gift box.
Date Night #5: Photo Scavenger Hunt
This is a fun and FREE date idea for your Year of Dates gift basket (it will only cost you a few gallons of gas)! Just print the photo scavenger hunt that is included in the printable pack, and drive around looking for the items on the list.
You’ll spend the date snapping pictures of things that are related to your relationship, like a selfie of you kissing in front of the sunset or a picture of a special memory that you have as a couple.
To make this date even more fun and creative, you can try to snap some artistic photos using the different camera options (like black and white, portrait style, etc.) and then print some of the photos to hang in your house or make a photo album.
Date Night #6: Random Restaurant
This is one of my favorite easy date ideas for a date night gift basket, because my husband and I always want to try a new restaurant, but so many times we just end up at our ol’ trusty favorites like Texas Roadhouse… Or we can’t decide on where to go for dinner at all and just grab something from the grocery store deli.
But this fun “Random Restaurant” spinner can help solve that problem AND you can use it over and over again!
Use the printable game spinner that’s included in the printables pack, and make your own spinner with card stock and a paper clip. Then, spin the “wheel” to see where you’re going for dinner!
You can even laminate the game spinner, and then use a dry erase marker to fill in the restaurant options. That way, you can change up the restaurant choices for different date nights, and use this fun idea for even more quality time together!
Date Night #7: Not So Newlywed Game and Takeout
Sometimes you feel like staying in for an at-home date night, or maybe you want to save some money on the babysitter cost. That’s where this Not So Newlywed Game comes in to play!
For this fun Year of Dates gift basket idea, you’ll get my super fun Not So Newlywed Game (a $6 value!). This fun questions-based card game can be played at home while you dine on some takeout by candlelight. Good laughs, good conversation, and good company… that’s the formula for a great date night!
*To see the full printable Not So Newlywed Game and learn how to play, visit this post: Not So Newlywed Game Questions for a Fun At Home Date Night
Other Year of Dates Ideas
Here are the other date night ideas that are included in the Year of Dates date night gift basket printables:
- Let’s Get Physical – Physical activity date night (like a yoga class or hiking)
- Dinner and a Show – Dinner date with tickets to a movie or a show/play/concert that is coming to your town
- Cookies and Card Games OR Coffee and Cards – The date printables come with both versions so you can choose which one you want to use… Bake some homemade cookies or go out for coffee and enjoy a good old-fashioned game of cards.
- Class is in Session – Voucher or gift card for a local class to learn a new skill – Like sushi making, pottery, or cooking class
- Can’t Escape My Love – An escape room date night!
- Popcorn and Puzzles OR Pinot and Puzzles – Choose which one to use! Then just buy a challenging puzzle or puzzle books and the microwave popcorn or a bottle of wine.
- Cupcake Challenge – Supplies or money set aside for a cupcake decorating challenge… Who can make the most professional-looking cupcakes?!
- Tailgate Takeout – An envelope of takeout menus for you to pick up a good meal and dine in the car overlooking some beautiful scenery
Year of Dates Printables – 12 Months of Date Envelopes and Labels
Want to make your own Date Night in a Box or “Year of Dates” gift for your spouse or boyfriend? You can check out the printables that I used to create this epic date night gift for my husband in my shop below!
Want the free printables for a Date Night Gift Basket instead?
If you don’t want to go all out with your Year of Dates gift, then I’ve got something for you!
You can grab the large printable signs with numbers 1-12 as a gift when you sign up for my free email newsletter! Just print them and glue one sign to each large manilla envelope… Then you can DIY the rest of your date ideas inside the envelopes!
*You can also create a “Date Jar” like this one that I made recently… It’s full of 75+ date night ideas, and you can grab the free printable list of date ideas to cut out and glue on the popsicle sticks here: Make your Own Date Jar with These Ideas – Free Printable List!
I hope you LOVE this fun and creative gift idea for your husband! And I hope that these easy ideas have inspired you to try something new for date night… You really would be amazed at how switching up your normal Friday or Saturday night dates can have such a positive impact on your relationship!
And be sure to check out some of my other fabulous date night ideas here:
- 94 Date Night Ideas to Add to Your Date Jar – Free Printable List
- 39 of the Best Two Person Date Night Games for Couples
- 21 Unique and Cheap Stay at Home Date Ideas (That You’ll Both Love!)
Do you have any favorite date night ideas that aren’t just dinner and a movie? Or have you ever made a date night gift basket or a Year of Dates gift? If so, drop me a comment. I’d LOVE to hear from you!
And don’t forget to PIN this post for later: